Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stunning organisation

I read on someone's blog recently (it may have been the Yarn Harlot, I kind of lose track who I'm reading on Google Reader sometimes) that they have decided that they waste far too much time prevaricating over which stashed yarn to match with which pattern and thence end up being late for appointments or nearly having to travel with No Projects! Shock! So what they did was print out their queued patterns, put them in freezerbags with the appropriate yarn and fill a storage bin with them all. Then, when you need a new project, just put your hand in and see what you get, like a lucky dip. What a genius idea, I thought!


So here are my selections which are now parcelled up and some ideas for the next bucketload.




or the very similar






Using Lorna's Laces Shepherd's Sock in Vera (70) - a mix of blocks of magenta, khaki and stone. (Actually have just wound this and it's going to be quite bold colour blocks so glad I'm doing a sock without complicated stitches on it).


Frootloop using Sparkleduck merino/nylon in a hot pink semi-solid.


Nutkin using Colinette Jitterbug in Lichen (75) - sort of dark yellow. Although I am quite tempted also to use that yarn for Goldengrove.



Galder using Nimu Yarns' 'Tussmorker' (with two dots over the o) in a purple / blue colour from a 2009 sock club.


Hedgerow using Posh Yarn Esme in Keep Smiling Through, which is a muted sandy tropical sunset sort of a colour.



Love Bugs in Wollmeise Merino Superwash 'Walk the 'red' line' from same sock club.


I have a big skein of laceweight Touch Yarn which I'll probably use for an Aeolian,


(although it will probably end up this big...)


But the Vernal Equinox Shawl is also rather tempting.

I like the Torreyana too, but I think it looks best in some shiny worsted as below:


Tea Leaves Cardigan in Manos del Uruguay Silk blend in that rosey blend with flecks of green and gold.

Urban necessity gloves in Misti alpaca sock in a russety grey.

Knitty's Annis is on the next list:


And the Pea Vine shawl which is not yet released but on the way from Knitspot.

Other socks (if I can ever face socks again) are Rivendell, Ellington and Kalajoki. And the Vinterblomster mittens. Love.
What do you think? Any patterns you hate? Any suggestions for better ones?
I think I need to give up work and just knit!

2 comments:

noblinknits said...

yup it was yarnharlot and she went so far as to call it her own sock club. not only has she knit each month's club pattern but has also been squuezing out extra socks too.

I would like to be organised too.

justclaire said...

I've used a freezer bag system for a couple of years now and it does make you feel very organised. Thing I find though, is that once I've bagged the stuff up and put it into the large plastic bin in my craft room, it frees up space elsewhere in the house that can be used to store more (new) yarn. Beware! ;)